Bannaji Temple
Bannaji Temple

The second Lord of the Ashikaga clan (originally Minamoto), Yoshikane, built a Buddhist hall dedicated to Dainichi Nyorai in the grounds of his residence in 1196 as divine protection dedicated. The third Lord Yoshiuji built more various buildings, becoming the Ashikaga family temple.
According to temple stories, it was Rishin Shonin who made Yoshikane’s buildings into temples.
The temple area, surrounded by earthen walls and a moat is almost square and approximately 40,000 square meters in size. You can still see today the remains of the samurai residence from the Kamakura period and in March, 1922 the ‘Ashikaga Former Residence’ was designated as a national historic site.
There are many cultural properties on the grounds, as well as the large ginkgo tree known as a ‘marriage tree’.
♦ Cultural Property
[National Treasure] Main Sanctuary (great hall)
[Tochigi Prefecture designated cultural properties]
Natural monument: Ginkgo biloba

Basic information and access

2220 Ietomi-cho, Ashikaga City, Tochigi Prefecture 326-0803

Telephone Number

A 10-minute walk from Ashikaga Station, JR Ryomo Line
A 15-minute walk from Tobu Ashikaga Station
10 minutes from Ashikaga Interchange on the Kita Kanto Expressway

Car Park
Taiheikikan Tourist Center Car Park (Free)

Facility Information
Admission: The temple precinct is called the Dainichiso and is a municipal park. Admission is free of charge.

Filter by Area